By Christine O'Donnell | Oct 24, 2017 | New For You |
Have you heard of the secret chocolate tea that promotes better health? You may have not, since it’s from South America, but now this health-boosting, delicious tea is available in the states.
I’m talking about MiCacao Tea!
It’s a tea made from the shell of the cacao bean which, like the skin of a baked potato, has more nutrients than the stuff on the inside.
- Has 40 times more antioxidants than blueberries; cacao has the highest concentration of antioxidants than any other food.
- Is caffeine-free; the tea provides energy through another chemical called “theobromine” which is easier on the body and non-addictive (caffeine’s calming younger brother.)
- Is a natural mood elevator; when you drink it, your body releases natural chemicals (endorphins) that make you feel happier.
You can get all of these benefits by drinking the steeped tea, but there are several other ways to get the full benefits of the tea. Here are three recipes for a Cacao Super Smoothie, Cacao Tea-Infused Oatmeal and Cacao Coconut Spiced Rum.
Cacao Super Smoothie
This healthy vegan smoothie is packed with superfoods and is so tasty it will take you back to your childhood. Perfect for breakfast or dessert.
- Small handful macadamias or cashews
- 1 tablespoon pea protein
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 heaped teaspoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 2 dates
- 1 teaspoon agave or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1/2 cup brewed MiCacao Cacao Tea
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Handful of ice
Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blitz for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until smooth. Serve in a tall glass topped with cacao nibs.
Cacao Tea-Infused Oatmeal
Your favorite winter warming breakfast just got a whole lot better. Porridge infused with cacao tea gives a slightly sweet and earthy chocolate vibe to the traditional dish. Go wild with adding extra flavors or your preferred sweetener.
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons MiCacao Cacao Tea
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 2 tablespoons nut butter
- Coconut sugar, flaked coconut & cacao nibs to serve
- Place the almond milk, water and loose-leaf tea in a saucepan over low-medium heat and gently simmer for 20 minutes until the tea is infused and aromatic.
- Strain the infused liquid and discard the tea, then return the liquid to the saucepan.
- Add the oats, rice malt syrup, vanilla and nut butter and heat through gently for 10-15 minutes or until the oats are softened.
- You may need to add a little more milk depending on desired consistency.
- To serve, top with a sprinkle of coconut sugar, coconut flakes and cacao nibs or toppings of choice.
Cacao Coconut Spiced Rum
This Cacao Coconut Spiced Rum cocktail is the perfect beverage as a naughty (but nice) dessert. Here’s how to make it. For an alcohol-free mocktail, omit the spiced rum and replace with more tea instead.
- 1.5oz MiCacao Cacao Tea
- 1oz Spiced Rum
- 1oz coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- Steep 3 teaspoons cacao tea in 4oz boiling water for 5-7 mins, and allow to cool.
- Measure and shake all ingredients vigorously in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- To serve, strain into a short glass filled with ice.